SIGNIFICANT ACCOUNTING POLICIES Basis of Presentation
The accompanying unaudited condensed consolidated financial statements have been prepared in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America (hereinafter referred to as “generally accepted accounting principles”) for interim financial statements and with the instructions to Form 10-Q and Article 10 of Regulation S-X and do not include all of the information and footnotes required by generally accepted accounting principles for complete financial statements. In the opinion of management, all adjustments considered necessary for a fair presentation of the results of operations for the interim periods have been included and are of a normal, recurring nature. Operating results for the three months ended April 2, 2022 are not necessarily indicative of the results that may be expected for a full fiscal year. For further information, refer to the consolidated financial statements and footnotes included in Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.’s (the “Company”) Form 10-K for the year ended January 1, 2022, and subsequent related filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC").
In December 2021, the Company acquired the remaining 80 percent ownership stake in MTD Holdings Inc. ("MTD"), a privately held global manufacturer of outdoor power equipment. The Company previously acquired a 20 percent interest in MTD in January 2019. Prior to closing on the remaining 80 percent ownership stake, the Company applied the equity method of accounting to the 20% investment in MTD. In November 2021, the Company acquired Excel Industries ("Excel"), a leading designer and manufacturer of premium commercial and residential turf-care equipment. These acquisitions are being accounted for as business combinations using the acquisition method of accounting and the results subsequent to the dates of acquisition are included in the Company's Tools & Outdoor segment.
In April 2022, the Company announced that it had reached a definitive agreement for the sale of its Mechanical Access Solutions ("MAS") business, the automatic doors business. In December 2021, the Company announced it reached a definitive agreement for the sale of its Convergent Security Solutions ("CSS") business comprising of the commercial electronic security and healthcare businesses. Based on management's commitment to sell these businesses, the assets and liabilities related to MAS and CSS were classified as held for sale on the Company's Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets as of April 2, 2022 and January 1, 2022.
The MAS and CSS divestitures represent a single plan to exit the Security segment and are considered a strategic shift that will have a major effect on the Company’s operations and financial results. The operating results of MAS and CSS have been reported as discontinued operations in the consolidated financial statements. Amounts previously reported have been reclassified to conform to this presentation in accordance with Accounting Standard Codification ("ASC") 205 , Presentation of Financial Statements ("ASC 205") , to allow for meaningful comparison of continuing operations.
Refer to Note F, Acquisitions and Investments, and Note T, Divestitures, for further discussion of these transactions.
The preparation of financial statements in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles requires management to make estimates and assumptions that affect the amounts reported in the financial statements. While management believes that the estimates and assumptions used in the preparation of the financial statements are appropriate, actual results could differ from these estimates. Certain amounts reported in previous years have been reclassified to conform to the 2022 presentation.
Free historical financial statements for Stanley Black & Decker Inc..
See how revenue, income, cash flow, and balance sheet financials have changed over 50 quarters since 2011. Compare with SWK stock chart to see long term trends.
Data imported from Stanley Black & Decker Inc. SEC filings. Check original filings before making any investment decision.